Name of Institution

Achimota Senior High School

Table
  • Type
    Senior Secondary School
  • School Category
    Category A
  • Location
    Achimota | GPS: GA-297-5281
  • Date Founded
    1927
  • Motto
    That they all may be one ~ Ut Omnes Unum Sint
  • School Code
    0010110
  • Acceptance Rate
    Highly Competitive
  • Gender
    Mixed
  • Accomodation
    Day & Boarding
Courses / Programes
  1. General Science
  2. General Arts
  3. Home Economics
  4. Agriculture
  5. Visual Arts

 

Prospectus

     

    • Tracksuit – 1 Set
    • African Print – 1 Set
    • School Cloth
    • Exeat Book
    • Ceremonial Dress (Not Ready)
    • Two Scrubbing Brushes
    • 2 Towel Or Rag (For Cleaning)
    • 1 Cutlass/ Hoe
    • 1 Mop &1 Plastic Long Broom
    • 1 Long Scrubbing Brush
    • Two White Bed Sheets And 2 Pillow CasesStandard Brown Sandals For Classes
    • 5 Pairs Of White Socks
    • Toilet Roll (1 Pack)
    • Two Antiseptic (Dettol)
    • Small Chop Box
    • One Mosquito Net
    • Suitcase/Trunk
    • Two Plates, Mug & Saucer
    • One Set Of Cutlery & Two Napkins
    • One Sleeping Cloth & One Pillow
    • Plastic Bucket & Pail
    • 6 Handkerchiefs
    • Set Of Hangers
    • One Pair Of White Canvas Shoes
    • Pajamas (2)
    • 1 Flash Light (Torch Light)
    • One Umbrella Or Rain Coat
    • Washing Powder, Bathing Soap, Disposable
    • Shaving Sticks & Pegs
    • 1 Pair Of Black Shoe
    • Blanket
    • One Other Bed Sheet

Country
Profile

Achimota Senior High School, previously known as the Prince of Wales College and School, is situated within the Achimota Forest Reserve, nine kilometers east of Accra. Spanning an impressive 950 acres, this campus was once home to various animals such as eagles, owls, and even rumored spirits.

The school was founded in 1924 by Sir Frederick Gordon Guggisberg, Dr. James Emman Kwegyir Aggrey and the Rev. Alec Garden Fraser. It was formally opened in 1927 by Sir Frederick Guggisberg, then Governor of the British Gold Coast colony. Achimota, modelled on the British public school system, was the first mixed-gender school to be established on the Gold Coast."

The academic curriculum is divided into a three years as approved by the Ghana Education Service. The school crest explains the school’s motto-black and white keys of the piano put together: ‘Ut Omnes Unum Saint,’ meaning “that all may be one”, as was designed by Dr. Kwagyri Aggrey – His idea was that the black and white race can live together in harmony; also boys and girls can be educated together to bring about harmony.

Achimota School is renowned for its non-denominational Christian values, welcoming students from all religious backgrounds. It stands as a symbol of knowledge and enlightenment, shining brightly in the midst of its lush surroundings.

Close to the campus are the Achimota Golf Course, the Achimota School Police Station, a large farm, the Achimota Hospital, and a staff village for the school’s non-teaching employees. (The hospital and police station have now been designated as district-level institutions.)

 

Website

https://www.achimota.edu.gh/

Phone Contact

+233 302 40 0552

Email Address

info@achimota.edu.gh

Brief History

Interestingly, the name "Achimota" in the Ga language translates to "you don't speak someone's name here," adding an air of mystery to this serene location. However, what was once considered a dark and enigmatic forest has now transformed into a globally acclaimed institution of education and enlightenment.

The school was founded in 1927 as the country's first government co-educational boarding institution. Governor Gordon Guggisberg, a colonial administrator in this country, Reverend A. G. Frazer, the school's first principal, and Dr. Emman James Kwegyir Aggrey, a Gold Coaster, were the school's founding fathers.

In 1920, a year after assuming office as governor of the Gold Coast, Guggisberg expressed his dissatisfaction with the country’s secondary educational system and set out to improve it. He appointed a committee of educationists under the chairmanship of D. J. Oman, the then-director of education, to “investigate educational efforts on the Gold Coast, their success and failure, with reasons for each, and to make recommendations for educational policy.” The committee recommended, among other things, the establishment of a secondary boarding school for boys near Achimota village.

In 1925 Governor Guggisberg published his 16 principles for the future guidance of Gold Coast education. Intriguingly, nearly all of these principles were implemented concurrently with the construction of Achimota School. Indeed, Guggisberg envisioned it as a “research laboratory for education,” his solution to the country’s educational problems, and the cornerstone of his plan of sweeping reforms.

Enter Reverend A. G. Frazer, the college’s first principal. Frazer altered Guggisberg’s blueprint in two ways: instead of a boys’ secondary boarding school, the college would become a co-educational institution. Secondly, its educational programme would begin with primary school children rather than secondary pupils. Dr. Emman James Kwegyir Aggrey, the third founder, acted as a diplomat and communicator between the native people and the predominantly European Achimota staff, splitting his time between teaching and traveling throughout the country to spread the vision of a new school founded to offer students a blend of European and African culture and education.

The first formal classes began in early 1927 with 60 six-year-olds. By 1930 the total number of learners had increased to 458, distributed as follows:
Kindergarten            52
Primary (Lower)       92
Primary (Upper)       87
Secondary                66
Teacher Training      156
University                 4

Between 1932 and 1938, numerous new structures were added. Throughout this period, Achimota School continued to serve as a kindergarten, primary, secondary, teacher training, and University College in miniature, preparing students for the University of London's external Intermediate Examination.

In 1948, national legislation separated the secondary school from the University College which now occupied the western compound of the campus until its own new buildings on Legon Hill were completed. Similarly, the Teacher Training College, initially sharing the western compound with the University College, was separated from the secondary school. Ultimately, it was relocated to Kumasi in September 1951. Thus it was that, by ordinance, the secondary school section of Prince of Wales College became an autonomous, self-contained institution that came to be known as Achimota School.

Source: Achimota

Other Locations
  • Achimota
  • Comments are closed.
  • You May Also Be Interested In